Write for our blog?
Engender would love to have feminists across Scotland write for our blog.
We are very fortunate in having some brilliant, creative, and inspiring women in our membership and readership. We would be glad to throw open our space to any feminist with an idea.
We have a few house rules:
- Blog posts should be feminist.
- Blog posts should be around 600-800
- Use your own voice, but blog posts
tend to be more informal than policy papers or academic work. Pith is to be
- We will gladly publish reviews of
books, films, television shows, or any piece of high or pop culture.
- You are free to link to other sites
and embed tweets. Please be judicious in linking to sites that are
anti-feminist, even if the purpose in linking to these is to identify this.
- Engender embraces an intersectional
feminist approach. We particularly welcome pieces that recognise the lived
realities of black & minority ethnic women, trans* women, lesbian and
bisexual women, and disabled women.
- We reserve the right to edit pieces
that are sent to us, for length and clarity. If we make any edits that we feel
substantially change the meaning of your submission, we will discuss these with
- We cannot guarantee to use all submissions,
and will prioritise members’ submissions, and those on topics that we are
particularly interested in covering.
- We will not publish pieces that “call
out” specific, named feminists. We may publish pieces that critique specific
pieces of feminist scholarship or initiatives. We will publish pieces that
critique structural oppressions within feminism itself. We aim to be sisterly.
- If your piece relates to an issue
around which there are differences within feminism(s) then we may commission
other pieces to provide multiple viewpoints, and publish these as a small
- In addition to your blog post, please
include a short biography that we can publish underneath your piece. This
should be no longer than 50 words, and can include your Twitter handle and
links to your own blog/website or your organisation’s website.
- We can include images in our blog
posts. If you have an image to use, please send it to us in .gif or .jpeg
format. Please let us know that we have the rights to use it, if you own those
rights, or let us have the details if it has a Creative Commons license. If you
don’t own the rights, or don’t provide the details for a Creative Commons
attribution, we will not be able to use the image.
- Please send blog posts to email@example.com with BLOG SUBMISSION in the subject line.